Miers Construction Products is an independent supplier of construction products delivering from a number of locations across the UK. We aim to provide our customers with a ‘single source’ connection to supplies, products and technology. We are dedicated in our efforts to become a valuable supplier/partner by providing products and services that out perform all standards and expectations and offering unparalleled service through dedicated employees whom are committed to being the best in our industry.
- To be the most important and valued supplier to our customers.
- To build relationships with our customers and suppliers based upon trust and respect.
- To build a reputation that will expand our business through our principles and commitment to our customers.
- To provide new products, technologies and innovative ideas that change and improve our customers efficiencies and methods of construction.
We have depots based in St Neots, Scotland, Warrington, Birmingham and Bordon… but can deliver and offer our services nationwide. Andrew Court is our Operations Manager and Transport, and we have elected him to be our Fuel and Emissions Champion and he explains how important FORS is to our Company.’
We came across FORS when tendering for work across London. When we looked at the requirements and benefits of joining the scheme we saw that they fitted in perfectly with our ethos of improving safety whilst complementing our drive to improve fuel efficiency and reduce our environmental impact
We take compliance and safety very seriously so we achieved our Bronze and Silver Accreditation. FORS did help us by providing training and tools that improved the policies and procedures’
We passed the initial Bronze audit first time and that encouraged us that we were on the right tracks and able to go even further. Progression to Silver and then Gold was our aim from the outset as we wanted to be a leader in providing a safe and productive fleet operation. To hold the Gold standard is seen as very prestigious and showed our customers that our operation is managed at the highest level possible.
All our drivers have completed their Safe Urban Driving course. We have also invested heavily in vehicle safety systems cameras, nearside proximity sensors and audible alarms for all our vehicles. All our drivers have also completed FORS E-Learning modules as well. Our Operations Manager Andrew Court is also a FORS Practitioner
‘FORS has helped us achieve compliance and safety’ – Andrew Court (Operations Manager)
‘We have reduced our Parking fines and Charges by 16.67% since last year’ – Andrew Court (Operations Manager)
- We have managed not to have any accidents/ Collsions for the past 4 years and we have also reduced our parking fines and charges by 16.67% since last year.
|Incidents per 100,000 Kms||Number of PCNs||Number of vehicles|
|April 2016 – March 2017||14.64||0||1||5|
|April 2017 – March 2018||20.51||0||6||5|
|April 2018 – March 2019||15.35||0||5||6|
- We get all my drivers to complete a comprehensive Medical Declaration on a annually basis even though the FORS Standard states once every 5 years. It’s also mentioned in the drivers handbook that if they at any point in time start suffering from a medical condition they need to notify the company ASAP as well as if they need to start taking medication prescribed by their GP or over the counter drugs. We will then investigate it to see if it’s still safe for the driver to be driving for the company and we may even ask the driver to get a letter from his doctor informing the company if he is still able to drive for the company. We will then start doing more driver assessments on the driver to make sure he isn’t a risk to the company or anyone on the roadRecruitment of drivers – provide information about your strategy to engage in industry initiatives to encourage new drivers into the industry and how your strategy has helped
- We only have 1 Operating centre and we use it for parking our lorries. We don’t carry out any maintenance on site and all our servicing is done by main dealers at their sites. The only noise generated is when my lorries are idling so we can carry out our defect checks. All my lorries have white noise reversing alarms fitted to them.
- We carry construction products to construction sites across the whole country. As we rely on our customers asking us to deliver to various construction sites across the whole country, we never know where we are going until they need us. Therefore we can’t afford to try and move anything via barge or train and there is no other method than using a lorry. So using a Lorry is the most cost effective way of moving our goods. We are replacing all our lorries with Euro 6 engines as and when they are due for replacement. We have looked at electric vehicles and because of the weights we carry and the fact that our lorries have specialist equipment fitted no manufacture have produced an alternative fuelled vehicle that can carry the weight we do and go over the same terrain we do.
We will continue using what FORS has taught us to improve our MPG and reduce any wasted idling we might have and keep our accidents/ incidents to zero’ Currently 67% of our fleet is Euro 6 and the final 2 vehicles are being replaced within the next 12 months to Euro 6 vehicles which will make 100% of our fleet Euro6.
We promote FORS on our website, Company Letter Head, our Companys workwear, email signatures etc. We really believe in FORS and know if that all companies signed up and joined FORS it would reduce all accidents/ incidents with vulnerable road users across the whole country.
Gaining FORS Gold Accreditation shows how dedicated we are as a company to improving road safety and the safety of all vulnerable road users in London as well as nationally. We will continuously use what FORS has taught us to help reduce our carbon footprint and make the roads so safer for everyone that uses them. We have also managed to make a significant saving by reducing our fuel usage and improving our MPG.
Our Website – https://www.miersconstructionproducts.co.uk/
Linkedin – https://www.linkedin.com/company/miers/
Twitter – https://twitter.com/miers_sales
*Please note: All published FORS Gold case studies have been submitted by the accredited company named above and transcribed verbatim